Jeep with revised engine line-up for Europe
The updated engine range will be presented at the 2010 Paris Motor Show. It includes 2.8 liter turbo diesel for Cherokee, Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited. The Stop/Start engine technology will be presented, too. Furthermore, Compass and Patriot will be introduced with 2.2 liter turbo diesel.
The new 2.8 liter turbo diesel in Grand Cherokee, Wrangler and Cherokee produces 200PS (147kW) and 460Nm (339 lb-ft). The Wrangler will be equipped with stop/start technology (manual model only) and an optional five-speed automatic.
Jeep Cherokee received new multi-media system, revised color choices, and better interior upholstery. The vehicle will be available in a Jet Edition with bright exterior trim - on the lower fascia, body-side molding, roof rails and license plate brow and chrome mirror housings, blacked-out headlamps, and polished 18" wheels.
The interior features a leather upholstered steering wheel, power windows and a nine-speaker Infinity sound system.
The small diesel in the Patriot and Compass is 2.2 liter with 163PS (120kW) and 320Nm (236 lb-ft). It replaces the old 2.0 liter unit.
2.8-liter turbo-diesel engine:
- Four valves per cylinder and double overhead camshaft (DOHC) with belt drive
- 1800-bar common-rail fuel injection system
- Piezo electric injectors
- Variable geometry turbocharger
- New composite intake manifold
- New exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system
- Reduced friction ring pack
- Electric swirl control
- Oil and exhaust temperature sensors
- Standard diesel particulate filter (DPF)
- Additional adjustments for improved noise, vibration and harshness (NVH)
- Modular and compact engine design
- Four valves per cylinder and DOHC with chain drive
- 2000-bar common-rail fuel injection system
- Five injection events per combustion
- Two balance shafts, oil pump and injection pump driven by gears
- Variable geometry turbocharger (electrical actuator-controlled)
- Resonator to reduce air-movement noise from the turbocharger
- Switchable piston cooling
- High-efficiency EGR cooling to meet Euro V emission standards
- Switchable un-cooled exhaust bypass
- Intake module with integrated and controlled intake port shut-off for variable swirl
- Electronically controlled thermostat and EGR bypass actuator for faster warm-up
- Standard DPF